Tuesday, August 27, 2019

From Michigan With Love

Dear Drag Syndrome performers,

I am deeply sorry you were recently barred from performing at the Tanglefoot building in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The decision to deny you the freedom to perform reflects one man’s ignorance regarding the needs and abilities of adults with disabilities. He could have accepted your invitation to speak with you and learn how truly capable you are but he declined. His loss.

Admittedly, when I first learned about this unfortunate situation it made me angry. It made me so angry that my stomach turned, my face got hot, and all the swear words spewed from my mouth! Anger isn’t what Drag Syndrome and your fans are about though so, it’s time I get with the program.

I am a performer with a disability who lives and performs in Michigan. I have worked with Jill and Chris of DisArt and appreciate the opportunities they create for Artists with disabilities, like you and me. Their reputation and integrity is impeccable.


Furthermore, the notion that you bombshells would allow yourselves to be exploited is absurd. I am not an expert on Down Syndrome but I know that everyone, even those with the same disability, is different. We all have different strengths, weaknesses, and passions. Clearly, you all have the ability to express yourselves as you choose and I am here to support all of you in all the ways that I can.

Thank you for unapologetically being your authentic selves. Drag is an art form that pre-dates Shakespeare and you have perfectly personalized it because that is what Artists do…and I love it! I have seen numerous drag shows over the years and really look forward to one day seeing Drag Syndrome on stage.

It is sad that not everyone is open to appreciating what you have to offer. It is sad for them because they are truly missing out on experiencing all the dimensions of who you all are. Please don’t let a few closed-minds and some hate mail stop you from putting your bold and sassy selves out there because there are plenty of fans that love you.

Your friend in Michigan,


Jane Hash aka Lady Jane The Mini-Mermaid


No comments:

Post a Comment