Monday, May 21, 2012

THE ALLEN THEATER - 2 thumbs up

photo by Tom Trainer
Saturday night was an enchanted evening, to say the least.  My date and I went to the Allen Theater at Place House Square in downtown Cleveland, Ohio to see the performance entitled "Dare To Be Different" by the Dancing Wheels Dance Company and School.  The show definitely lived up to its title by including Dancers of multiple abilities, ethnicity's, ages, sexual orientations etc.  The performance kept the audience mesmerized.  I didn't even want to blink for fear of missing something!


The reception following the performance was a fun and elegant affair which included fountains of chocolate for dipping strawberries, complimentary champagne, a live band and colorful performance Artists romping about as if no one else was there.  I felt a bit like Alice in Wonderland and loved every minute of it.


Did I mention how personable the performers are?  In addition to being exceptionally talented, the Dancing Wheels performers are a really fun bunch of genuinely nice people.  I talked to as many of them as possible at the reception and let them know how much we enjoyed the show.  I even got the opportunity to meet their guest performer from L.A., Jen Bricker.  She is just as lovely off-stage as she is on-stage.  We exchanged a few pleasantries and I'm crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes that she will be a guest on my radio show!


In closing, I must praise the Allen Theater for the way their wheelchair accessible seating is laid out.  The are several 'parking spots' so more than one wheelchair user can attend an event.  Also, it is very inclusive instead of segregated like some establishments.  A person with a disability can attend events at the Allen Theater without experiencing the "back of the bus syndrome."  The Ushers are super helpful as well.


Thank you Mary-Verdi Fletcher, Dancing Wheels, and Jen Bricker for a wheelie good time.  (Sorry, this entry was lacking cheese.)

No comments:

Post a Comment