Sunday, September 16, 2012

Autism and Asperger's Syndrome - Do you get it?

http://thautcast.com/drupal5/
thAutcast

Over the past few years I have become increasingly more aware of Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.  I've read a little about it and I had talked to a few folks who either worked with people who were Autistic or had a family member with either Autism or Asperger's Syndrome.  Although I found it all very interesting, I really didn't 'get it.'  


thAutcast
Then I started corresponding/conversing with those who are actually Autistic or have Asperger's.  This does not in the least make me an expert yet, I think I get it now.  I get that Autism and Asperger's Syndrome are two mysterious and fascinating states of being that our simple minds need to label as diseases or disorders because we don't seem to possess the proper language or intellect to really understand them.


thAutcast
My point here is, if you really want to know what Autism and Asperger's Syndrome are, talk to those who identify with those terms.  The Autistic Self Advocacy Network would be a great place to make such connections.





1 comment:

  1. Also remember that Autism exists across a broad spectrum. No two cases of an Autism Spectrum Disorder are the same, just as no two people are the same. Unfortunately, we 'normal' (whatever that means) folks like to keep things simple by assuming all autistic folks are the same.

    ReplyDelete